September 16, 2018
: 8 servings
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 small onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 green scotch bonnet peppers
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Meyer's rum
- 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate
- 2 whole chickens each 3-4 pounds
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Step 1 Add marinade ingredients (all but chicken) to food processor and puree until almost smooth.
- Step 2 Pierce the chicken with the tip of a knife to make many tiny holes.
- Step 3 Rub marinade into chicken and refrigerate 24 to 48 hours depending on desired intensity.
- Step 4 When ready to cook, prepare a slow and smoky charcoal fire.
- Step 5 Remove chicken from marinade.
- Step 6 Transfer the marinade to a small saucepan and simmer, brushing chicken while grilling.
- Step 7 Brush chicken with oil and then grill over low heat until done, about 30-40 minutes.
- Step 8 Make sure chicken is cooked completely before serving.