Winter Time Beef Stew
September 14, 2018
: 8-10 servings
- 4 pounds cut up chuck roast
- 1/2 cup celery leaves
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5 cups beef stock
- 2 medium onions, chunked
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 medium carrots, chunked
- 4 potatoes, chunked
- 4 ribs celery, chunked
- 1 1/2 cups tomato paste
- Flour for dusting meat (about 1 cup)
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Step 1 Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper, then dust with flour.
- Step 2 In a large pot, brown meat with garlic, minced onion, and celery leaves for about 10 minutes on medium heat until well browned.
- Step 3 Continue stirring to avoid burning.
- Step 4 Remove excess oil.
- Step 5 Add beef and chicken stock, and tomato paste.
- Step 6 Bring to a boil, reducing heat to simmer.
- Step 7 Cover.
- Step 8 Allow cooking about 1 hour or until beef is tender.
- Step 9 Then add carrots, potatoes, onions and celery cooking about 15 minutes longer.
- Step 10 Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Step 11 Bring stew to a boil, add flour/water mixture a little at a time, simmering and stirring until you get the right consistency.
- Step 12 This stew is best to next day, after all the flavors have had a chance to meld.