Penne with Asparagus Sage & Peas
September 13, 2018
: 4 servings
- 1/2 pound penne
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound thick asparagus, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups (10 ounces) shelled English peas or frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Step 1 Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Step 2 Add the penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente.
- Step 3 Drain.
- Step 4 Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil.
- Step 5 Add the garlic and asparagus and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Step 6 Add the stock and boil over high heat until reduced by half and the asparagus are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Step 7 Add the peas and cream to the skillet and boil over high heat until the sauce has thickened, 3 minutes.
- Step 8 Stir in the penne and cook until heated through.
- Step 9 Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, sage and the 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Step 10 Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 11 Transfer the pasta to bowls and serve right away, passing additional cheese at the table.