Molten Lava Cakes
September 12, 2018
: 8 servings
- 1 Duncan Hines Fudge Cake Mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Vanilla ice cream
- Chocolate Shell Ice Cream Topping
- Caramel Sauce
- Hot Fudge:
- 1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12-oz.) bag semi sweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons sweet butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Chocolate Shell:
- 2 cups chocolate chips (half milk half semi sweet or all semi sweet)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Step 1 In a large bowl, stir together the dry cake mix, eggs, sour cream, milk and oil.
- Step 2 Spray a large cupcake pan with nonstick spray and evenly distribute batter 3/4 way full.
- Step 3 Bake according to package directions.
- Step 4 Turn the cakes out onto their tops creating a “volcano” and allow to cool.
- Step 5 Using a pairing or serrated knife gently cut a hole out of the center without going clear to the bottom.
- Step 6 Fill with hot fudge that is cool and then slice off the bottom circle of the piece of cake you removed and place it on the hot fudge hole like a lid.
- Step 7 Freeze for 30 minutes, up to 2 days with plastic wrap over the pan of cakes.
- Step 8 Remove the cakes from the freezer and reheat in the microwave until warm, about 30 seconds.
- Step 9 Top with ice cream, caramel, and chocolate shell.
- Step 10 Hot Fudge:
- Step 11 Melt all of the ingredients in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Step 12 Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Step 13 Continue to boil and stir for two minutes.
- Step 14 Remove the pan from the heat and continue to stir for one minute.
- Step 15 Allow the fudge sauce to cool.
- Step 16 Chocolate Shell:
- Step 17 Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl along with the coconut oil and slowly heat for 30 second intervals, stirring often until melted.
- Step 18 Serve over cold ice cream and it will harden.