Apple Pie Baked Apples
September 29, 2018
: 4 servings
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 3 Pink Lady apples
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk (egg wash)
- Caramel, for drizzling
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Step 2 Peel and dice one green and one red apple.
- Step 3 Slice off tops and, using a melon baller, hollow out the remaining apples.
- Step 4 Set aside.
- Step 5 In a small bowl, whisk together warm water and cornstarch.
- Step 6 In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Step 7 Add diced apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Step 8 Bring to a simmer and cook until apples are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Step 9 Add in cornstarch mixture and cook 5 minutes more.
- Step 10 Place hollowed out apples in a baking dish and fill with cooked apple mixture.
- Step 11 On a piece of wax paper, roll out pie dough and cut into 4 circles.
- Step 12 Slice each circle into thin strips.
- Step 13 Make a lattice top on each apple, trimming any excess.
- Step 14 Brush crust with egg wash and sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar.
- Step 15 Bake until apples are tender and crust is golden, 28 to 30 minutes.
- Step 16 Drizzle with caramel before serving.